Whether we appreciate or complain about things/events in our lives could just be a matter of perspective. I was at the dentist this morning getting my teeth cleaned and it was a somewhat painful even with the topical gel they placed to numb my mouth and it took awhile. I would rather have been somewhere else but the dentist’s office. On the other hand, I can appreciate the fact that I have insurance to pay for it, which I am grateful for. It got me thinking what I and what I hear other complain about including the items below:
- It’s a chore having to vacuum and clean our homes, but on the other hand, there are those who are homeless who would gladly take any shelter over their heads.
- We complain about our kids waking us up early in the morning to play, but on the other hand, there are those who are not able to have kids who would do anything to have even just one.
- We complain about the amount of work we do, but on the other hand, there are millions of people who are unemployed looking for jobs who would take any wage to feed their families.
- We complain about paying too much for gas, but on the other hand, there are those who have to walk miles to get to work.
- We complain about too much school work, but on the other hand, there are those who can’t even afford to go to school and would work many jobs to be able to have the opportunity.
- We complain about how old-fashioned and over-bearing our parents are, but on the other hand, there are those who would give the world to have their parents alive.
- We complain about how hard our marriage is but on the other hand, there are those who are not allowed to get married.
- We complain about our physical shortcomings. Just watch this:
Nick Vujicic – I Love Living Life. I Am Happy. (youtube video).
By no means am I being Pollyana-ish but I do find myself taking things for granted sometimes and I have to remind myself of how blessed I am. As I read somewhere “When we’re complaining, we’re not appreciating.”